What to Do When You Are Homeless


What to do when you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless


Try to locate an assistance program near you. Engage in support.

Some community agencies provide assistance and support to help you obtain or maintain a tenancy.

Community agencies can help you to identify and address and issues that are causing homelessness or for you to be at risk of homelessness.

Actively engage in the support provided so you can learn to resolve your own issues.

Community agencies may be able to provide or refer to a wide range of services including but not limited to accommodation services, material or financial aid, food / clothing assistance, financial services, employment services and health services.


Apply for Public Housing and Community Housing

Apply for any housing options that you are eligible for and provide any evidence of medical conditions that may affect you housing needs or your ability to resolve your housing issues.

Public Housing does have lengthy waiting lists. You may be eligible for various products and services through Public Housing depending on your situation.


Apply for Transitional Housing

In some communities, transitional housing is an option for people who are homeless.

Transitional housing programs may have eligibility criteria. Transitional Housing is a great way to access support and build a tenancy history.


Make sure your ID is current and available

Make packs of Identification that include Photo ID, Centrelink cards, Medicare Card, current bank statement, proof of income (Income statement from Centrelink or pay slips), car registration forms, rental references, copy of lease or rental history, birth certificate and any bills in your name.

A community agency may be able to assist you to copy the documents and make packs.


Apply for rental properties through real estates and private landlords

Look for properties that suit your needs, that you can afford in a wide range of areas.

To look for rentals you can use the internet, newspaper or phone real estate agencies to see what properties they have available in your price range. You can also visit the real estate agency to ask in person.

You should then contact the agency and ask if you can view the property. Once the property has been viewed you can then apply for the property.

You can lodge the application form by fax, online (if the real estate accepts this format) or in person.

Keep proof of applications; you can get the agent to sign a Rental Application Diary to prove you have applied.


Consider alternative accommodation

Look into crisis accommodation services, shared accommodation, backpacker’s accommodation, friends or family, caravan parks or a boarding house while you continue looking for rentals or more permanent accommodation.

Are you Homeless?

If you are homeless and need assistance, call Link2Home now

1800 152 152

Domestic Violence?

If you need support, please call the NSW Domestic Violence Helpline (24/7) on:

1800 656 463

SAHSSI Referrals

If you require support from SAHSSI, please enter your details here:


SAHSSI accepts donations of food, essential living items and cash. Please help if you can.