About SAHSSISupported Accommodation and Homelessness Services Shoalhaven Illawarra
SAHSSI is a not for profit Specialist Homelessness Service covering the Illawarra / Shoalhaven District.
In October 2014, Wollongong and Warilla Women’s Refuges merged to create Supported Accommodation and Homelessness Services Shoalhaven Illawarra (SAHSSI). Combined SAHSSI builds on 70 years experience supporting vulnerable women and families. We provide support and referrals to clients and specialise in the following areas:
- Domestic and Family Violence
- Women’s Services
- Corrective Services
- Domestic Violence Response Enhancement (DVRE)
SAHSSI has three crisis accommodation support services in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven
that provide intensive case management support to women with or without children who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and in a crisis situation such as escaping domestic violence.
SAHSSI also manages 31 transitional properties in the Illawarra and has access to 3 bedsit transitional units in the Shoalhaven. The outreach support team provide case management support to these clients.
A world where all people live safely, independently and free from abuse.
Provide leadership to break the cycle of domestic/family violence and homelessness and drive change through person centred services, collaborative partnerships and community engagement.
SAHSSI Central Administration, Housing Resource Centre and Outreach Service
Located in Swan St Wollongong, with management, finance and administration, and a centralised intake and referral. It is accessible by public transport and delivers outreach support to clients wherever they are in the District. Support for clients and referrals to and from partner agencies including internally managed supported accommodation, transition properties, partner properties including Housing NSW’s Temporary Accommodation (TA) service. SAHSSI also manages 30 transitional properties in the Illawarra, the outreach support team provide case management support to these clients.
Transitional housing is a form of social housing assistance for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The transitional accommodation offered by SAHSSI is targeted for single women and women with children. Clients in these properties sign a lease under the Residential Tenancies Act, and are entitled to a subsidised rent according to their household income. SAHSSI is currently responsible for the management of 40 transitional housing properties ranging from bedsits to 3 bedroom houses. Whilst transitional housing is not long-term housing, it is accompanied by support from a SAHSSI Outreach Case Manager who will support the tenant to stabilise their circumstances and move on to more appropriate long term housing.
Illawarra Crisis Accommodation
SAHSSI has two Crisis Accommodation Support services in the Illawarra that provide intensive case management support to women with or without children who are homeless and in a crisis situation such as escaping domestic violence. Supported accommodation is up to 6 weeks.
SAHSSI Shoalhaven has one Crisis Accommodation Support service that provides intensive case management support to women with or without children who are homeless and in a crisis situation such as escaping domestic violence. Supported accommodation is up to 6 weeks.
Delivers outreach support to clients from wherever they are in the District. Support for clients and referrals to and from partner agencies including internally managed supported accommodation, partner properties including Housing NSW’s Temporary Accommodation (TA) service in Nowra to Ulladulla.
Support We Provide:
- Low needs service for people that require information and referral to another service that suits their needs, information regarding homelessness and Domestic/Family Violence , assistance with forms, advocacy etc.
- Early intervention / prevention – Saving tenancies at risk support (Outreach Illawarra / Shoalhaven).
- Rapid Rehousing – Assessment is made for suitability. With assistance, can secure and maintain a property with low level needs. (Outreach Illawarra and Shoalhaven).
- Crisis Accommodation – Crisis accommodation (Illawarra and Shoalhaven).
- Transitional Accommodation – Medium term leased property with support (Illawarra Outreach only).
- Partners in Recovery – Aims to better support people people living with severe and persistent mental illness by providing a more co-ordinated system response to their mental health needs and support that will assist them in their recovery.
- Corrective Services – Support for female partners of domestic violence perpetrators (who are attending CSNSW perpetrator program).
- Complex Clients – Clients who have multiple identified issues such as Alcohol and Drug, Mental Health, Physical Health, Disability etc with no requirement for crisis or transitional accommodation. (Outreach Illawarra/ Shoalhaven).
SAHSSI’s Case Manager will help you to develop your personal case plan, which will assist you to achieve your goals. The Case Manager works in collaboration with you to address any issues that are of concern. This is done by identifying issues and working on a strategic, action based support plan. SAHSSI’s case management includes:
- Housing information
- Coordinating specialist services
- Parenting support
- Education and training
- Mental health
- Alcohol and drugs support services
- Emotional support
- Help you understand documents, forms, service processes and other support based on individual needs
Support Periods for Clients
- No case plan, a few hours of assistance.
- Referral / advice / immediate practical support.
- e.g. Assistance completing forms or referral.
- Case plan required.
- 4 – 10 weeks of support.
- Intensive case management.
- Case plan required.
- 3 – 12 months of support.