HomelessnessCauses and Information
Are you Homeless?
call this number now:
1800 152 152
New Statewide Information and Referral Service
A statewide information and referral service, called Link2home has been established to assist people with homelessness in NSW.
It brings together several homelessness telephone services including HPIC, and the After Hours Temporary Accommodation (TA) line.
What causes homelessness?
People of many ages and backgrounds experience homelessness.
The risk of homelessness is increased when people experience a sudden change in their circumstances. Perhaps they lose a job, have a sudden health crisis, a family member dies, they retire, a relationships ends or a baby is born.
The primary reasons that people become homeless include:
- Lack of affordable and available rental housing
- Domestic and family violence
- Family / Relationship Breakdown
- Financial crisis
- Long term unemployment
- Economic and social exclusion
- Severe and persistent mental illness and psychological distress
- Exiting state care
- Exiting prison
- Severe overcrowding / housing crisis
- Gambling problems
- Drug & Alcohol abuse